Orange City Council
PO Box 35 ORANGE NSW 2800
The General Cemetery is administered by Orange City Council. The City Council is aware of the need to provide a quality, tranquil resting place for our loved ones.
The Orange General Cemetery was established in 1853, with the oldest surviving headstone dating from 1854. The Cemetery has been in continuous use for more than 150 years. The Cemetery is situated on Lone Pine Avenue, Orange and is open from 7.30 am until sunset each day of the year.
The Cemetery comprises the Monumental section, which is now closed to burials, and the Denominational lawn sections consisting of Roman Catholic, Anglican, Greek Orthodox, Independent, Methodist, Uniting, Plymouth Brethren, Baptist, Congregational, Salvation Army, Bahai and a Baby lawn section. A number of the denominational lawn sections are now closed to new burials and are only available for reserved allotments.
In 2007, after a number of the denominational lawn sections became full, the Non-Denominational Monumental Lawn section was opened. The strategy for this section was to establish a formal cemetery area of non-denominational status. This is a monumental lawn section.
There is also a Memorial Rose Garden for the internment of ashes only.
The General Cemetery continues to cater for persons with existing burial rights in both the Monumental section and the Lawn sections. Cremated remains can also be placed in such graves. Contact Council's Cemetery Administrative Assistant on (02) 6393 8223 for more information or to locate a reserve.
A Cemetery Map (803KB) can be downloaded here.