The Orange Showground is the venue for the annual Orange Show and a number of other community events through the year including equine events and the Farmers’ Markets.
|SITE: The Orange Showground is bordered by Leeds Parade, Margaret and Phillip Streets.|
The first agricultural shows were held in Orange on four different sites, including Cook Park and Wade Park, as early as 1863.
In 1908 the Crown set aside a 48-acre site as a showground on the current location in North Orange.
In March 1923, the 50th anniversary of the inception of the Orange Show (ie, a Diamond Jubilee Show) was held.
The Orange Showground was used as a detention barracks during World War II.
The Centenary Show was held in April 1969.
- In 2004 Orange City Council began a review of the Orange Showground with meetings with the identified stakeholders.
- The development of the Orange Recreation Needs Study (2008) highlighted the need to establish a clear direction and function for the Orange Showground.
- Soon after the City Council began a detailed investigations and consultations into the direction of the Orange Showground culminating in the preparation of a Management Plan with associated Master Plan.
- The Orange Showground Master Plan ~ May 2010 (8.5 MB) can be downloaded here.
- At its 4 December 2012 meeting the Council decided to establish a Showground Working Party to develop an agreement for governance and the future management of the Showground.
In June 2013, Orange City Council and the Orange Show Society reached an in principle agreement on a new management relationship. The Show Society has agreed in principle to rescind the Deed of Covenant dated 25 June 1987. It will be replaced by a Licence Agreement detailing the rights and responsibilities of the parties. It's expected a formal agreement will be brought to a council meeting in August 2013.