Home | | Site Map | Contact Council |
Information about the work of  Orange City Council, located in the Central West of NSW

Keeping your backyard pool safe

Regulations are now in force which aim to cut the number of children who drown in backyard pools.

The new rules are aimed at making sure that specialised pool safety fences around backyard pools are maintained in good condition.

The NSW government set a deadline of 29 October 2013 by when all all backyard pools in NSW had to be registered.

The registration process includes the opportunity for pool owners to self-assess the condition of their pool’s child-resistant fence, and then arrange for any repairs to be done.

Pool owners can still register online at the NSW Government’s www.swimmingpoolregister.nsw.gov.au  website.

There is a penalty of $220 for owners who fail to register a swimming pool.


Selling or leasing your property with a pool?

From 29 April 2016, all properties with a pool that are sold or leased must also have a current compliance certificate (The certificate confirms the pool fence measures up to required standards.)

Certificates will be issued by Orange City Council following an inspection.

While property owners are responsible to make sure child-resistant fences are maintained, someone who rents or occupies a property with a  pool is also responsible to make sure a pool fence is installed and maintained.

To arrange an inspection, residents can download the application form, drop it in to the council and arrange payment. The state government has set a fee of $150 for the inspection.

It’s expected the inspection will be able to happen in a matter of days.

Home-owners ared advised to to work their way through the online check-list and get any necessary work done on their pool before they arrange an inspection. This could avoid the need for a potential follow-up inspection if problems are found.


Pool Register Image 3You can download these ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ about inspections.


Further information :

  • Small inflatable or portable pools must be fenced if they are able to be filled with more than 300mm of water
  • You don’t have to build a fence for an outdoor fish pond or water feature.
  • You have extra responsibilities if you are selling your property with a pool.


You can learn more about the new backyard swimming pool regulations on the NSW Dept of Local Government website.