Along with Banjo Paterson Park on Ophir Rd, the Emmaville Cottage near the Botanic Gardens is a tangible link to the period more than 150 years ago when Paterson was born.
The prefabricated cottage is believed to date from the 1850s. The American redwood panels were shipped from the United States and assembled to build large numbers of cottages in Australia.
|READY TO GO: The cottage is pictured at its original location about to be moved in April 2013.|
The four room cottage is typical of early Australian vernacular architecture.
In Orange the cottage was previously located at the Waratahs sports field, once part of the Narrambla Estate. The cottage is believed to be one of the last farm buildings from the Narrambla property.
The Narrambla farming property was the where the mother of Banjo Paterson came to stay before the birth of her son in 1864.
The cottage, now missing its lean-to and out buildings, was relocated to the Orange Botanic Gardens precinct in April 2013. The move was captured in this short video clip.
Restoration of the cottage undertaken by the Orange Rotary Club, Orange City Council and other volunteers from the Orange community.
The work by Rotary volunteers was celebrated on Sunday 16 Feb 2014 when former residents of the cottage cut a ribbon. Click on an image from the official hand-over, aqnd then click next to scroll through the images.
It’s planned that the cottage will be a venue for heritage displays.