Home | | Site Map | Contact Council |
Information about the work of  Orange City Council, located in the Central West of NSW

Stray Animals

Large Animals

If you want to report a large animal, such as cattle or a horse, at loose in the streets of Orange which may be a danger to members of the community or passing traffic, please call Police on triple-zero (000) or Orange City Council's 24 hour helpline.

1300 650 511

Council rangers will respond as soon as possible.


Dogs, cats & other small animals

Due to a large number of requests and other duties, council rangers will only respond to after-hours requests if there has been a very serious incident such as a dog attack, or if a member of the community is at risk.

If you notice a stray dog or cat, please call the 24 hour helpline. However please note that, requests for council rangers to deal with stray dogs and cats will only be dealt with during business hours, and when assessed against other priorities.

1300 650 511

Please consider whether or not it is safe for you to catch and then contain a stray dog, until a ranger can arrive.

During normal business hours a stray dog or cat can be taken to the Canobolas Family Pet Hospital at 10 William St. 

You can also see images of pets that have recently been handed in as strays on this Facebook page.



Injured native animals

If you find an injured or abaoned native animal or bird, contact WIRES

The WIRES website has up to date contact information and suggestions  about first aid for injured native animals.