Orange City Council crews have laid 462 tonnes of concrete as part of the city’s footpath network, this financial year.The longest section of new footpath, about 1250 metres, on Anson Street between Douglas Place and Matthew Avenue is almost complete.
Orange Mayor Reg Kidd said Council crews have been making fast work of the job with about two weeks to go, weather permitting.
“This footpath will provide a much needed connection between the north of Orange and the CBD,” Cr Kidd said.
Orange City Council’s Infrastructure Committee Chair and Deputy Mayor Sam Romano said the work was part of Council’s record commitment of $350,000 per year for footpath upgrades.
“As part of the Council’s record footpath program valued at more than $1.4 million over four years, crews have upgraded and built new paths on March Street, from Spring Street to Nile Street, replaced a footpath on March Street from Hill Street to Sale Street and replaced a footpath in Caroline Street from McLachlan to Edward Street,” Cr Romano said.
“The next street on the list is McLachlan Street between Byng and Summer Street East.
“Every footpath in Orange is routinely checked for factors like wear and tear, and damage from tree roots.
“There are always difficult decisions to be made whether a new path should be built in one location or another.
“There are objective criteria around the condition of the surface, the amount of foot traffic and the site’s accident history that are used to make those decisions.
“Council also has to look ahead at planned major projects, such as the CBD upgrade.
“We want the best value for money so we want to make sure we upgrade a path which will last for the next few decades and not have to be redone as part of a major project.”
The list of scheduled projects for the coming year, includes:
- McNamara Street, Kite to Moulder (western side)
- Byng Street, Sampson to Woodward (both sides)
- Sale Street, from Orana to Casey (eastern side)
- Clinton Street, from Summer to Kite (eastern side)
- Tobruk Crescent, a loop from Maxwell to Maxwell
- McLachlan Street, from Byng to Summer (eastern side)
- Sampson Street, from Prince to March (eastern side)
- Eyles Street, from Bathurst Road to Ellard Street (western side)
- Sale Street, from March to Byng (eastern side)
- Kite Street, Hill to Sale (southern side)
- Summer Street, from Clinton to Sampson (northern side)
- Sampson Street, from Summer to Byng Street (eastern side)
A map showing the location of the new work, together with footpaths completed in recent years can be found on Council’s Your Say website.