Domestic Violence Crisis Centre closer to reality after funding grant

By September 6, 2018 News

Parliamentary Secretary for Western NSW Rick Colless today announced $684,859 in funding to breathe life into building a domestic violence crisis centre in Orange for affected women and children.

This funding is included in the $1.6 million grant which Orange City Council will receive under round two of the NSW Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund.

Mr Colless said the money will fund the first domestic violence centre in Orange which will be a safe haven for those in the community who are being abused in their current homes.

“Many women, men and children in regional communities are victims of domestic abuse and violence – and it simply isn’t safe for them to stay where they are currently living,” Mr Colless said.

“Each month in Orange there are more 130 reports of domestic violence made to the police, making it imperative that support in the form of a crisis centre is provided to these women and children.”

David Fisher, CEO of Housing Plus, said, “We are delighted to receive the support from the Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund and would like to thank the wider Orange community who have voted online for this important community amenity.”

“This Centre will provide a comprehensive range of domestic and family violence support services at no charge including risk assessment, transport, safety planning, court support, information and referral, case management, community education and support to access victim’s compensation.

“Most importantly, it will be a centre where women and children can move to while they rebuild their lives.”

Mayor of Orange City Council Reg Kidd said funding for this centre was imperative, and was a much needed community service locals had been advocating for.

“We want everyone in this community to feel safe and cared for. I am hoping this centre will provide a sense of relief to those who have and are suffering in our community for domestic abuse and violence.”

Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional NSW John Barilaro said the roll out of the second round projects takes Stronger Country Communities funding to $300 million.

“I congratulate Orange City Council and look forward to the local sports and community facility improvements that will make the region an even more attractive place to work and raise a family,” Mr Barilaro said.

“The $300 million Stronger Country Communities Fund is part of the NSW Government’s $1.6 billion Regional Growth Fund that is employing local tradies, putting local suppliers to work and providing the right environment to operate regional businesses,” he said.

For more information, please visit: www.nsw.gov.au/strongercountrycommunities.

Funding announcement for Domestic Violence Crisis Centre

Parliamentary secretary for Orange Rick Colless with Member for Calare Andrew Gee, Councillor Tony Mileto, Housing Plus CEO David Fisher and Mayor Reg Kidd

One Comment

  • Rod Priest says:

    Hi Orange city council
    I was searching for International mens day on your website, it does not exist! I then chanced upon this article and could not help but seek clarity from you on these statements.
    “Each month in Orange there are more 130 reports of domestic violence made to the police, making it imperative that support in the form of a crisis centre is provided to these women and children.”
    As Mr Colless stated “Many women, MEN and children in regional communities are VICTIMS of domestic abuse and violence – and it simply isn’t safe for them to stay where they are currently living,”
    Why are men not supported by the proposed crisis centre? It would be good to see local, state & federal government recognise domestic violence as a non-gendered issue to deal with this problem once and for all.

    Kind regards

Leave a Reply