Skip to main content

Bins and collection

 135 Byng St, Orange
 02 6393 8000
 [email protected]
Report it

Damaged or Stolen bin? Report it to receive a new one


Red and green bins are collected every week.

The yellow bin is collected on alternate weeks, Week A or Week B. Download the 2023 Waste Guide to find out your collection days.

To ensure your bins are collected every week, make sure you put the bins out in the street early on the morning on the day when collections happen, or if convenient, on the night before.


Unsure about where cheesy pizza boxes go? Tissues, aluminum foil, dog poop?

Click this link to find out which rubbish goes in which bin?

Green lid – Food and garden waste


Why should I use the food and garden waste bin?
Orange residents should make the most of this community-wide opportunity because it :

  • reduces the amount of waste we send to landfill by recovering up to 60% of the total waste stream,
  • reduces the production of greenhouse gas,
  • helps support a sustainable form of waste management which will last for more than 40 years.

What CAN I put in my food and garden waste bin?
Food scraps including: fruit and vegetables, meat, chicken, fish and all bones, dairy (cheese, milk, yoghurt etc.), tea (also tea bags) and coffee, bread, rice, pasta and all grains, cake, biscuits, lawn/grass clippings, twigs and small prunings, leaves(dry or green) and flowers.

What CAN’T I put in my food and garden waste bin?
Plastic bags, plastic packets, cling wrap, any recyclables, building materials (including timber), medical waste (e.g. syringes), car batteries, gas bottles, rocks, soil, hazardous waste including chemicals , paint etc., honey (or any products containing honey), light bulbs or mirrors.

Can I wrap food waste before I put it in my bin?
While food scraps can be put directly into the bin, if you prefer, you can wrap the scraps in newspaper before you put them in your bin. Please do not place food and garden waste inside a plastic bag before putting it in your food and garden waste bin. Plastic bags can contaminate the compostable organic waste.

Can I put my waste in compostable bags before I put it in my bin?
No. To prevent contamination, all Food & Garden waste will be sorted before being shredded. If waste is enclosed in a compostable bag, the contents will not be able to be seen quickly during the sorting stage, and it will be put into land-fill.

I have more garden waste that will fit in one bin. Can I pay for extra collections?
Yes. Unlike the recycling bin which is collected fortnightly, the ‘Kitchen & Garden Organics’ bin is collected every week. If convenient, garden waste can be put aside until the following week’s collection, however the previous system where residents can pay for extra green-waste collections is continuing.

Residents pay for the extra service by buying tickets from the Civic Centre for $2 each collection. Simply buy tickets from the Civic Centre and attach it to the top of your old, privately-owned green-waste bin. The ticket, attached to the top of the bin, is the signal to the driver that the resident has paid for the extra service. The old privately-owned bins can continue to be used in this way, but only if they have a ticket attached.

This waste will be collected by the JR Richards Green-waste truck. If you don’t want to keep your old green waste bin, let the council know and JR Richards will take it away.

I put garden waste in my old green waste bin (with a bought ticket attached) and put the bin out with my other bins, but it was not emptied?
The City Council’s contractor JR Richards is using a different truck to collect the organics waste to the truck which collects waste from the red bins. This truck may come a number of hours after general waste truck. Residents should leave their bins out on the footpath and it will get collected.

Can elderly, frail or disabled residents get help to put their bins out each week?
Yes. Elderly or disabled residents who have difficulty putting out their bins each week can ask for help. Residents should contact the City Council with their name and address details. A JR Richards staff member will contact the resident to make arrangements. The driver of the first truck to make a collection each day will put out the bins. The driver of the last truck each day will push the bins back to the residence.

Can shops and businesses use the new ‘Food & Garden Organics’ collection collection?
Yes. Commercial or business premises were not involved in the initial roll-out of the organics bin, but they can be if they choose to.

A green-lidded bin can be supplied to businesses at a cost of $75.30 per year (Same as residential charge). This amount will be added to their rates and will cover the cost of a weekly collection. If businesses need a more frequent collection they can contact JR Richards to negotiate the cost of extra collections.

To help drivers know that businesses have paid for the new service, their new bin will be a slightly different colour to the residential green-lidded bin. Green-lidded bins brought from home to businesses won’t be collected.

All requests for a new bin must be authorised by the owner/agent of the premises, not the tenant.

Can I use a Kitchen Caddy?
For convenience, many residents use a ‘kitchen caddy’. This is a small lidded container that can be stored in their kitchen next to food preparation areas. Waste such as vegetable peelings and other scraps can be conveniently placed in the caddy, which can then be carried to the outdoor bin. Should residents wish to contain their food scraps please only use plain paper. Plastic bags should not be used in the caddy.

You can order a Kitchen Caddy from the JR Richards Organics Hotline 1300 883 163 for $17.56. The caddies are not available at the Civic Centre, but be collected from the JR Richards site office at the Ophir Road Resource Recovery Centre.

I already have a bin. Can I get an extra bin?

As part of the normal waste collection, paid for by a property owner’s annual rates, the City Council will supply:

  • one red-topped bin for normal waste. That waste will be collected once a week,
  • one green-topped bin for kitchen and garden waste. That waste will be collected once a week,
  • one yellow-topped bin for recyclable waste. That waste will be collected once a fortnight.

The City Council understands that, because of extra seasonal waste or other circumstances some residents may wish to have an additional bin. There are currently two options which both require extra charges. For this reason, there is no on-line form available. Please contact the City Council.

1. Red or Yellow-topped bins
Owners of properties can arrange for an extra Red or Yellow-topped bin together with the weekly or fortnightly service. The extra weekly waste collection including the red-topped bin costs $263.90* (added to the annual rates charge). The extra fortnightly recycling collection including a yellow-topped bin is $103.15*. To arrange for a new bin, contact the City Council with your name and address details and a new bin will be delivered. Delivery will take about 1 week.

2. Green Waste bin
A green-topped organics waste bin can bought for $100.40* To arrange the collection of a green waste extra bin, residents can buy tickets from the council at the Civic Centre for $2 each*. A ticket should be attached to the top of the bin, where it’s clearly visible to the waste collection service driver. The bin should be placed in the street on the normal waste collection day alongside other bins.

All charges mentioned are current in the 2022-2023 financial year.


From 30 January, 2023, Orange City Council will provide a kerbside Bulky Waste Clean-up for all residences that receive a regular waste and recycling collection service.

Enquiries ~ JR RICHARDS & SONS ~ 1300 725 415

Click on image to enlarge.

When will my collection happen?

Council’s waste contractor JR Richards and Sons will use the ‘Week A / Week B’ yellow-bin recycling collection calendar to coordinate the bulky waste collection, which is based on residents’ location in relation to Anson Street.

  • If you live west of Anson Street, please place your bulky waste out on Sunday 29 January, 2023.
  • If you live east of Anson Street, please place your bulky waste out on Sunday 12 February, 2023.

If you are unsure whether your property is located in Week A or Week B, click here to view the 2023 Residential Waste Services Guide, which includes a calendar and close-up maps of the city.

The collection will occur at any time during the two weeks after this date. There will be only one collection from your address. Once your bulky waste has been collected, please do not put out more waste. It will not be collected again.

Where do I put my bulky waste?

Please place your bulky waste neatly next to the edge of the kerb on the nature strip and not blocking the footpath. Place it close to the spot where you normally place your bins each week. Please secure items to avoid windblown littering.

How much bulky waste can I put out?

The volume of waste collected from any one property must be less than two cubic metres or about the size of a standard (6’ x 4’) level box trailer.

Please make sure:

  • Items must be of manageable size for two people to lift (Max 30kg)
  • Loose items must be tied securely with rope or string (not wire), into bundles or contained in sturdy boxes.

So that we can recycle as much of the bulky waste as possible, three trucks will come by each address at about the same time.

Please separate your waste into:

  • metal items
  • whitegoods
  • and other bulky waste

What items will be taken away?

  • Household appliances and Whitegoods
  • Scrap metal—lawn mowers, wheelbarrows, barbeques, bicycles, hot water systems
  • Tins and drums (empty)
  • Pottery, ceramics and chinaware
  • Household bulky waste items
  • Mattresses
  • E-Waste– anything (other than whitegoods) with an electrical cord

What items will NOT be taken away?

  • Materials that are more than 2 cubic metres
  • Mirrors, glass tabletops, window panes and glass sliding doors
  • Material suitable for putting in the resident’s regular waste bins —eg. food scraps, green waste, recyclables and household garbage
  • Asbestos or fibro
  • Trade, industrial and shop wastes
  • Cement bags and sawdust
  • Insulation batts
  • Motor vehicles, engines and car parts
  • Building and demolition materials, concrete and bricks, tiles, fencing or plumbing fixtures
  • Large carpet rolls
  • Gas bottles and fire extinguishers
  • Prunings, branches, garden vegetation, large tree trunks and thorny bushes
  • Hazardous waste
  • Batteries
  • Tyres
  • Fuels or oils
  • Liquids or paint

Please do not put out any of these items for your bulky waste collection. These items will not be taken away and you will be responsible for removing them from outside your home. Some of these items, such as paint, batteries and oils can be taken for free to your Community Recycling Centre.

Do I need to make a booking for the kerbside collection?

No. The kerbside bulky waste collection occurs once a year. If you would like a bulky waste kerbside collection outside of these times, during the course of the year, you will need to phone Council for an extra collection at a cost to you.

Will the bulky waste be recycled or go to landfill?

While part of this waste will go to landfill, some of this waste can be suitable for recycling. By diverting these items from landfill, we can maximise the life of these valuable resources.

Can I put out household appliances such as electronic appliances like vacuums to be collected?

Yes, e-waste will be collected in the kerbside bully waste collections. E-waste is products such as TVs, computers, monitors etc.  Household appliances will be collected. This includes products such as vacuums, fans, toasters, etc.

A charge for a bulky waste collection appeared on my rates the last two quarters, does that mean there is more than one collection?

No, there is only one bulky waste collection scheduled for this financial year. The charge is an annual charge, split over the four quarters.