Skip to main content

Food safety

 135 Byng St, Orange
 02 6393 8000
 [email protected]

Orange City Council provides a range of services to support local food retailers and other food sellers. We work closely with local businesses and community groups who prepare food for sale.

Did you know there are over 200 food premises in Orange. We’ve conducted over 260 inspections of food businesses and public buildings, this year,  ensuring they were operating and being maintained to an appropriate standard.

Training Opportunities

Orange City Council is offering FREE online training in Food Safety and Hygiene.

More Resources

For your information and convenience we have provided links to useful fact sheets on common food safety issues.

For more information please contact Orange City Council.

Setting up a new food business

It’s important for new food businesses to register with Orange City Council. Complete this form to register your business.

    Privacy Statement

    Childcare CentreCatering ServiceHome-based Food BusinessMobile Food BusinessOther Food Business

    Sous videSmoking/CuringRaw Egg ProductsRaw Seafood ProductsNo


    These two publications provide useful information for new food businesses.

    Food Safety Shop Fit Out [.pdf]

    Food premises - Design Construction and fit-out guide[.pdf]

    Food Delivery

    Meals being delivered are subject to the same safety requirements as meals prepared and eaten on site. The Australian Food Safety Standards has this to say about food transportation:

    “A food business must, when transporting food –

    1. Protect all food from the likelihood of contamination;
    2. Transport potentially hazardous food under temperature control; and
    3. Ensure that potentially hazardous food which is intended to be transported frozen remains frozen during transportation.”

    Businesses can address this by:

    • Keeping delivery times as short as possible. Avoid taking numerous deliveries at the same time, as orders will sit out of temperature control for extended periods while awaiting delivery
    • Using appropriately insulated carry bags/containers that help maintain the foods desired temperature
    • Regularly cleaning and sanitising carry bags and containers
    • Keeping delivery vehicles in a clean, well-maintained condition
    • Ensuring drivers maintain good personal hygiene

    It is the responsibility of the food business to ensure safe delivery practices are in use by delivery staff, whether they be internal employees or through an external service.

    Home-based Businesses

    Home-based food businesses are subject to the same guidelines and legislation as standard businesses and may be inspected for compliance.

    Visit this Webpage for more information on home-based businesses.

    Mobile Food Vans/Coffee Carts

    Mobile Food Businesses operating in Orange LGA must register with Council. The operation of such mobile businesses on Council land is subject to approval.

    Businesses based in orange will be required to have a food safety inspection from Council on an annual basis.

    See these guidelines for further information and advice.

    Temporary Food Businesses

    Operating a food stall at a local markets or other events in a park or other public land falls under the classification of a ‘Temporary Food Business’. Under Section 68 of the Local Government Act, you are required to apply for a permit from Council to conduct a food stall.

    To apply for a permit, download the Temporary Food Stall Permit  fill in the details and return it to the council at the Civic Centre. This is a 12 month permit which costs $38 and is to be accompanied by a copy of your public liability insurance of $20m with Council noted as an interested party. There is more information about how to apply on the form.

    This BBQ at the Markets Fact Sheet provides more information for anyone operating a barbeque at a community market event.

    NSW Food Authority has a guide for business owners on keeping food safe at temporary events.

    This fact sheet also has information for not-for profit organisations.

    Are your business details changing?

    If your business is changing name, address or ownership, Orange City Council needs to be advised. You can easily do this in several ways:

    • In person by coming into the Civic Centre, cnr Byng Street and Lords Place and speaking to one of our Environmental Health Officers,
    • By telephone by calling 6393 8000
    • By sending an email outlining the changing details to [email protected]

    Food Inspections

    Orange City Council undertakes regular inspections of food businesses in the Orange area to help safeguard the health of our community and to ensure food businesses comply with NSW food safety requirements. Inspections may be annual or half-yearly, depending on the risk rating given to the business. This rating is determined by the type of food being sold (potentially hazardous), the business’ food safety record, and the preparation activities being performed on the premises.

    Food Premises Inspection fees are revised on an annual basis as part of the Council’s Budget, and for the 2018/19 financial year inspection fees have been set at:

    • Mobile Food Van/Coffee Cart – $120 per inspection
    • Permanent Food Premises – $210 per inspection

    The City Council’s Environmental Health Officers are Authorised Officers under the Food Act 2003. Information on the powers of Authorised Officers under this Act can be obtained here.

    Food Premises inspections are carried out using the Food Premises Assessment Report (FPAR). A sample of the FPAR checklist can be downloaded here for you to use as a self-assessment and reference document.

    FPAR Sample Document

    Scores on Doors

    Orange City Council is one of the latest councils to join the voluntary state-wide Scores on Doors Program, which aims to improve food safety standards and to reduce the instance of food-borne illness in the retail food industry.

    The program also provides businesses with an opportunity to show customers just how seriously they take food hygiene and the results they have achieved at inspection, by displaying a rating certificate on their front door or window.

    The certificates reflect the results of high standard hygiene and food safety inspections. This means that customers can feel safe in choosing to dine at eateries displaying an up to date Scores on Doors Certificate.

    Find out more information on the voluntary Scores on Doors Program

    Complaints and Enquiries

    Orange City Council’s Environmental Health Team is available to help with any food safety enquiries you may have. They can be contacted on 6393 8000, or you can meet with an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) at the Council offices, Civic Centre, (Cnr Byng Street and Lords Place) Monday to Friday, during business hours.

    Should you wish to make a food safety complaint to Orange City Council please feel free to contact Council’s EHO team. Please note that council’s Environmental Health Officers investigate complaints regarding hygiene, storage and handling, cleanliness, pest control and temperature control of food.

    Instances of suspected food poisoning should be reported to the NSW Food Authority by calling 1300 552 406 or online at the Authority’s website:

    Food Safety Supervisors

    A Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) is a person trained to identify and prevent risks associated with food handling on food premises. They must hold a current (less than 5 years old) Food Safety Supervisor Certificate and not be the designated FSS for more than 1 food premises.

    It is a requirement under the Food Act to have an appointed Food Safety Supervisor in any food business that processes and sells food that is:

    • Ready-to-eat, and
    • Potentially Hazardous, and
    • NOT sold or served in the supplier’s original packaging

    The Food Safety Supervisor requirement does not apply to businesses licensed by the NSW Food Authority.

    Nor does it apply to:

    • coffee vendors that only heat milk
    • not-for-profit community and charitable causes
    • school canteens (primary or secondary)
    • boarding schools
    • children’s services (childcare centres)
    • out of school hours care services
    • correctional centres
    • supermarkets (if heated food is not sold)

    This requirement also does not apply to food business premises that only carry out one of the following activities only:

    • slice fermented meats or small-goods, or both
    • slice or portion cheese, or both
    • process raw seafood
    • slice or portion fruit or vegetables, or both

    More information regarding Food Safety Supervisors can be obtained from these NSW Food Authority guidelines.