Lodging your DA

 135 Byng St, Orange
 02 6393 8000
 02 6393 8199

How to lodge a DA

The process of lodging a DA (Development Application) with Council can be complex, and will vary depending on the size and scale of the proposal.

For example, the information the Council needs to assess a proposal to build a new garage will be very different to this information needed to assess a whole new subdivision.

This check-list is designed to provide a simple outline of the types of information needed to lodge a DA. It is not a complete list and is designed as an introduction for someone lodging a DA. People who want to lodge a DA are encouraged to talk with council staff or seek professional advice.

Council planning staff are available at the Civic Centre in Byng St, Monday to Friday to answer specific questions face-to-face about proposed developments.



 1 – Examine Policies

Depending on the size of your proposal, the first step may be to look at Council and State Government planning and development policies. This research will show if the proposed development is permitted under Orange’s Local Environmental Plan and Development Control Plans. With larger developments you can also request a formal pre application discussion meeting.

2 – Prepare Plans and Drawings

A necessary step in the DA process is preparing your plans and drawings of your proposed development.

3 – Prepare a Statement of Environmental Effects

The applicant must prepare an analysis of the environmental effects of the development.

4 – Complete the Application Forms

Depending on the type of the proposed development, different application forms need to be prepared and submitted. You can find out more about the required forms here.

5 – Lodge the Application

Lodging the application with council in person, by post, or by email. Appointments can be requested if needed.

6 – After you lodge your DA

Depending on the type of proposed development, Council staff may be able to give an indication of how long it can take for the DA to be assesses. You can track the progress of the DA online.

7 – Review of Council Decision

Where applicable, a review of a council determination of a DA can be made.


What kind of approval does my proposal need?

Development and construction work may be subject to approval or may be classed as exempt development. Development that has minimal environmental impacts and fills a specific criteria is exempt from requiring approval.

Development that has predictable and manageable impacts, and complies with specific criteria may be complying development. If the development is able to be approved with a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) you can apply to either Council or a Private Certifier for approval.

Further information about exempt and complying development can be found here.

All other development requires development consent and if construction or subdivision are involved, it may also require a construction certificate.


Types of DevelopmentsApprovalsImpactsComplianceOther Approvals
Exempt DevelopmentNo Approval RequiredMinimal Environmental ImpactsMust comply with established standards and criteria

May require approval to make any changes to water, sewer or stormwater systems
Complying DevelopmentNeeds approval (Complying Development Certificate) - may also be approved by a Private Certifier.

May be for subdivision and/or building work
Predictable and manageable impactsMust comply with established standards and criteria.

May require approval to make any changes to water, sewer or stormwater systems
Development ConsentDevelopment Application

Needs Council merit assessment and may require notification to neighbours who may potentially be affected by the development.

May require approval or concurrence from other government organisations such as the RMS, EPA, etc..
Could be major environmental impactsConditional approval

Orange Local Environmental Plan 2011
May require a Construction Certificate to complete Subdivision and/or Construction work.

May require an Occupation Certificate to occupy the building.

May require approval to make any changes to water, sewer or stormwater systems

May require a Traffic Management Plan
ConstructionRequire approval (Construction Certificate) if not exempt or complying development.

Can be issued by Council or Private Certifier.

Can be for construction and/or subdivision work
Proposed work must comply with the requirements of the Building Code of Australia and relevant standards.

Planning to work in a council road reserve?

Orange City Council has introduced a new permit system designed to manage any construction work in council-owned road reserves.

The new system, which began from the start of 2019, will cover situations where there’s potential damage to a road or footpath, such as where a builder is replacing a driveway at an existing house, or underground communications cables are being installed to a new block of units.

The new permit system will be part of the Development Application process for all new developments.

The system, called a Road Opening Permit (ROP), takes its name from the state legislation which covers any construction work which disturbs or ‘opens’ the surface of a road. The permit will be needed for any work in a council-owned road reserve. The term ‘road reserve’ includes the area on both sides of a street from ‘the front fence to the front fence across the road’, including the footpaths and nature strip as well as the roadway.

This online news article includes a simple summary of the new system.

letter, outlining the changes was sent to Orange builders in November 2018. This Road Opening Permit Guide contains more information about new permit system.

The newly updated Road opening permit form can be downloaded here.

Political Donations

Some categories of development proposals also require the applicant to disclose any political donations made to elected councillors or gifts given to council staff.

More information about these requirements can be found here.