Here are some of the highlights from the September 21 Council meeting.
Sport and recreation funding
More than $7.5 million dollars has been invested in delivering new playgrounds, improved sporting infrastructure, lighting, and amenities in this term of Orange City Council.
A report tabled to Council last night detailed sport and recreation projects that have been delivered over the past four years, including:
- Nine playground projects (five in new locations and four replacement/upgrades to existing play spaces).
- Wade Park turf practice nets, new sight screens, grandstand refurbishment and lighting upgrade.
- Carl Sharpe Cricket Centre indoor facility at Wade Park.
- Gosling Creek Multi-Purpose Track and Triathlon Storage Shed.
- Anzac Park Outdoor Netball Court resurfacing and two new courts.
- Sir Jack Brabham Park amenities block and shelters.
- Moulder Park Bike Education Track.
- Orange Hockey Centre/Glenroi Oval Carpark upgrade.
- Elephant Park amenities building refurbishment.
- Perry Oval upgrade.
- Refurbished amenities at Elephant Park.
- John Lomas Skate Park Toilets.
A notice of motion by Cr Hamling was supported to conduct a feasibility study into installing solar lighting along the full length of Wirrabarra Walk. As part of the feasibility study Council will engage with impacted residents and the local community.
A notice of motion by Cr Stephen Nugent was supported for the following:
1 Acknowledges the contribution that refugees and migrants have made to Orange, and offers support at this time to any Australians of Afghan background living in Orange.
2 Welcomes Afghan refugees to settle in our local government area in accordance with our status as a Welcome Refugee Zone.
3 Calls on the Federal Government to urgently review the current intake of Afghan refugees to Australia with a view to significantly increasing it, and for this intake to be over and above the number of refugees allocated in the existing Humanitarian Program.
Council approved the Business Enterprise Centre –Central NSW Limited amended constitution as presented, and endorsed the acceptance by the Board at the members meeting on 30 September 2021.