Skip to main content

Business inspections & public health

 135 Byng St, Orange
 02 6393 8000
 [email protected]

Business Inspections & Public Health

Orange City Council is required by various NSW legislation to regulate and approve a number of activities associated with operating a business in the Orange area. This is to ensure that public health and safety is maintained in our community.

The following list includes the name of the legislation that the Council acts under and the various approvals Council is responsible for providing.

1. Public Health Act 2010

Skin penetration activities

“Skin penetration procedure” means any of the following procedures:
(a) acupuncture
(b) tattooing
(c) ear piercing
(d) hair removal
(e) any other procedure (whether medical or not) that involves skin penetration.

Please refer to the Act for further information

Public Health Regulation  2012

Council must be notified of premises where skin penetration procedures are carried out, including any mobile premises that you wish to operate. To register, you will need to write to Council to advise of the address of the premises used for these procedures. All correspondence to Council should be addressed to the General Manager. You can find out the requirements for skin penetration premises by clicking on the following link to the regulation.

2. Food Act 1993

Under this Act, a person must not handle food intended for sale in a manner that the person knows will render, or is likely to render, the food unsafe. A person must also ensure that they do not sell food that is,  or is likely to be, unsafe. Council conducts inspections of food premises to ensure compliance with the Food Safety Standards.

Every food business operator is required to register the business with NSW Health Department either by hard copy form or via the web at:

Council publishes a Food shop safety checklist to assist people responsible for food premises.

3. Local Government Act 1993

The Local Government Act 1993 requires Council to regulate various activities within the area The following is a  list of approvals to be granted by Council.

Structures or places of public entertainment

  • Install a manufactured home, movable dwelling or associated structure on land.
  • Install a temporary structure on land
  • The placement of street furniture.
  • Use a building or temporary structure as a Place of Public Entertainment.

A “place of public entertainment” means:
(a) a drive-in theatre, or
(b) an open-air theatre, or
(c) a theatre or public hall, or
(d) licensed premises.

Water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage

  • Draw water from a council water supply or a standpipe or sell water so drawn.
  • Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe.
  • Carry out sewerage work .
  • Carry out stormwater drainage work.
  • Connect a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of council or with a drain or sewer which connects with such a public drain.

Management of waste

  • For fee or reward, transport waste over or under a public place.
  • Place waste in a public place.
  • Place a storage container in a public place Skip bins Place a Waste Storage Container in a Public Place.
  • Dispose of waste into a sewer of the council.
  • Install, construct or alter a waste treatment device or a human waste storage facility or a drain connected to any such device or facility.
  • Operate a system of sewage management.

Community Land

  • Engage in a trade or business street stalls.
  • Direct or procure a theatrical, musical or other entertainment for the public.
  • Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment.
  • For a fee or reward, play a musical instrument or sing.
  • Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device.
  • Deliver a public address or hold religious service or public meeting.

Public Roads

  • Swing or hoist goods across or over any part of a public road by means of a lift, hoist or tackle projecting over the footway.
  • Expose or allow to be exposed (whether for sale or otherwise) any article in or on or so as to overhang any part of the road or outside a shop window or doorway abutting the road, or hang an article beneath an awning over the road Awning signs, banners.

Other Activities

  • Operate a public carpark.
  • Operate a caravan park or camping ground.
  • Operate a manufatured home estate.
  • Install or operate amusement devices.  Application for approval to install and operate amusement device.
  • Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling an article to the public e.g coffee cart.


  • Application for filming on public land. For more information, contact Orange City Council Business Projects Officer on 6393 8000.

Cooling Towers and Legionella Control

If you are an occupier of a premises that operates a cooling tower you are required to register that tower/s with Council, so you can be issued with a Unique Identification Number in accordance with NSW legislation.

More information on the responsibilities of occupiers can be found at