Skip to main content

Rates and Charges

 135 Byng St, Orange
 02 6393 8000
 [email protected]

Councils help local communities run smoothly. They administer laws and regulations to help maintain and improve services and facilities for the community. These services include :

  • community services,
  • sporting and recreation services,
  • environmental planning,
  • public health,
  • environmental protection
  • waste collection, treatment and disposal.

The rates you pay allow your council to fund these services.

You can find out here, the 2022/23 Fees and Charges  charged by Orange City Council.

Payment options

Orange City Council offers residents a range of options for paying their rates.

You can also opt to have your rates notices delivered to your email inbox via eNotices, rather than your door. Click this link to sign up. 

Help us create a more sustainable future and sign-up for eNotices.

eNotices allows you to self-manage all your properties, send notices to multiple email addresses, and print additional copies.

Payment in full

If you intend to pay rates and charges in full (one single payment), the payment must be received by 31 AUGUST each year.

Paying by installments

The Local Government Act allows rates to be paid by quarterly amounts. The due date for these payments are:

  • 1st Instalment – 31 August
  • 2nd Instalment – 30 November
  • 3rd Instalment – 28 February
  • 4th Instalment – 31 May

If you elect to pay quarterly amounts, individual notices will be issued at least 1 month prior to these dates. Please note that interest charges will accrue on a daily basis on quarterly rate accounts which are not paid by the due dates. All arrears must be paid by the due date, and to provide for this, the total arrears are included in the first quarterly payment.

Making an arrangement to pay

Rate-payers who are suffering financial difficulties or are able unable to pay their rate installment in full should contact Orange City Council’s rate department on 02 6393 8000 to make alternative payment arrangements.

How to pay

OnlineWe accept most major cards
Direct debitPlease telephone 1300 650 511 for information (NSW only)
BPAYOur biller code is 18242 and your individual customer reference number is next to the BPAY symbol on the bottom left-hand side of your notice.
PhoneCall 13 18 16 and have your Mastercard or Visa Credit card available. You will be requested to provide your Billpay Code (0645) and also your customer reference number. This is located on the rates notice. A minimum payment of $20.00 is applicable.
MailDetach the Bank Deposit slip from your notice and mail with cheque made payable to Orange City Council to:
Orange City Council
Po Box 35
In personPresent your rate notice to the cashier’s counter at the Orange Civic Centre, 135 Byng Street, Orange. Cashier’s hours are 9am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).
Payments to cashier can be made by cheque, cash, Visa/MasterCard/American Express, debit card.
Australia PostYou can pay your rates at any Post Office or Australia Post branch anywhere in Australia.

Exemption from Rates

If your property is a church, school, charitable institution, hospital or the like, a rate exemption may be able to be claimed. For further details please contact the Rates Section on 02 6393 8000.

Water Meter Readings

Council carries out meter readings quarterly to calculate water charges if applicable. Special meter readings can also be arranged for property sales to show the amount of water used on a pro-rata basis. A cost applies.

Section 603 Certificates

Section 603 Certificates provide confirmation of property and ownership details, including all outstanding rates and charges.  If you are thinking about purchasing a property it is advisable to obtain a Section 603 Certificate. A cost applies. Application forms are available on the Forms page.

Change of Address

If your address details have changed, you will need to complete a change of address form and return it before your address can be updated. Forms are available on the Forms page.

Rates FAQs

Why do I have to pay council rates?

Councils help local communities run smoothly. They administer laws and regulations to help maintain and improve services and facilities for the community. These services include :

  • community services,
  • sporting and recreation services,
  • environmental planning,
  • public health,
  • environmental protection
  • waste collection and water treatment.

The rates you pay allow your council to fund these services.

How does a council decide how much you have to pay in rates and charges?

Each council is required to determine the combination of rates, charges, fees and pricing policies needed to fund the services it provides to the community. This is called a revenue policy. The revenue policy contains a rating structure that determines which rates and charges you will have to pay and how they will be calculated. Charges are generally determined each year, and last for a particular financial year. Some charges are according to a user-pays principle – or they may be a combination of both, for example, water supply charges.

Councils can choose how they calculate and distribute rates among categories of rateable properties in the council area.

For each category or sub-category, rates can be calculated in one of three ways. They can be based:

  • entirely on the land value of the property
  • on a combination of the land value of the property and a fixed amount per property
  • entirely on the land value, but subject to a minimum amount.

The land value is determined by the NSW Government.

How does council decide which category your property is in?

Each parcel of land must be included in one of four categories for rating purposes:

  • residential,
  • business,
  • farmland or
  • mining

Council decides which category your property should be in based on its characteristics and use. Most people are charged ordinary rates under the residential category.

What can you do if you don't agree with the categorisation of your property?

Categories are important, because rates differ depending on the category of the land. So if your land is, for example, categorised as farmland you may pay a lower rate per dollar of land value than if your land is categorised as business. If you are not satisfied with the category given to your property, you may apply to council for the category to be reviewed. If you do this, council must notify you of their decision and the reasons for that decision. If you still do not agree with the category given to your property, you may appeal to the Land and Environment Court. You must do this within 30 days of receiving council’s review decision. Contact the court to find out how to lodge an appeal.

Can council change the category of your land?

Yes. However, the council must notify you of this change and advise that you can seek a review by the council if you don’t agree with the category. This notice must also explain your appeal rights to the Land and Environment Court.

What if you don't agree with the land value of your property?

Councils don’t determine your land value for rating purposes. Land is valued by the Valuer contracted by the Valuer General under the Valuation of Land Act 1916 (as amended). These valuations are carried approximately every 3-4 years and you should receive a valuation notice after it is done.

If you don’t agree with the land value you have 60 days to object. The NSW Government will provide you with an objection form free of charge by calling 1800 110 038 or you can download a form from this section of the Valuer-General’s website

Is there any way of knowing what your rates and charges will be before receiving your rate notice?

Every year, before the final amounts are fixed, councils prepare a budget (known as the draft Delivery and Operational plan) that includes their proposed revenue policy for the following year. This policy must include details of all rates and charges that the council is proposing to levy on ratepayers. The draft budget is put on display for commuity comment.

The final  Operational Plan is later adopted by Council and is available to the public on the Council website.

Can you object to what council is proposing?

The draft delivery and operational plan must be put on exhibition to give members of the public an opportunity to comment. This usually happens around April or May each year. Councils must consider any submissions by the public before adopting the plan. This is your opportunity to raise any issues about the rates and charges for the following year.

What is rate pegging?

The NSW Government sets a limit on the total amount of income that a council can raise from certain rates and charges. This is called the rate-peg percentage and it is specified by the Minister for Local Government each year.

Because of rate pegging, council’s overall rates revenue cannot increase by more than the percentage increase approved by the minister. If overall land values rise, councils may have to reduce or otherwise adjust the amounts levied per dollar so that total income does not grow by more than the percentage increase approved by the Minister.

Can my rates increase by more than the rate-peg percentage?

Yes. Rate-pegging applies to a council’s overall general income and not to rates on individual properties. Within rate-pegging it is possible for some rates to increase by more than the rate-peg limit while others may increase by less than the rate-peg limit. In some cases, rates may decrease from the previous year. A council’s rating structure and valuation changes are the main factors that will determine what happens to rates on an individual property. Rating structures may change significantly from year to year.

Are all rates and charges limited by rate-pegging?

No. Only certain rates and charges are subject to rate-pegging. Rates and charges for waste management, water, sewerage and stormwater are not subject to rate-pegging.

Is there any way that councils can increase their income by more than the rate-peg limit?

Councils can apply to the Minister for Local Government to increase their general income by more than the rate-peg limit. This is called a special variation application. The council must include details of its intention to apply for a special variation in its draft management plan and consider any submissions received from the public. If approved, the Minister will specify the percentage by which the council may increase its general income.

Is there any way to control the increases on rates and charges that are not subject to rate-pegging?

Even though certain rates and charges are not subject to rate-pegging, councils are still required to provide details of what they are proposing to charge in their draft management plan and must consider submissions from the public before adopting those rates and charges. Annual charges for domestic waste management services and stormwater must be calculated to reflect the reasonable cost of providing those services to the community.

Do you have to pay a domestic waste management service charge if you don't use the service?

Yes. The Local Government Act requires councils to levy an annual charge for providing domestic waste management services on all parcels of rateable land for which the service is available, whether or not it is actually used. It is considered that all property owners should contribute to the current and future provision of waste services.

If you don't use the service, do you have to pay the same amount as those who do use it?

Councils can charge properties that do not use the service a different amount from those that do use it. However it is up to each council to decide whether they want to do this.

As a pensioner, am I eligible for a concession/rebate on my rates?

Concessions are available for eligible pensioners. To be an eligible pensioner you must receive a pension from either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and be entitled to a pensioner concession card issued by the Commonwealth Government. You can only claim a concession on the property if it is the sole or principal place you live.

There are two rebates for pensioners. One is offered by every council across NSW. On top of that, Orange City Council offers a further rebate.

How do you apply for a pensioner concession?

You need to complete a Pensioner Concession Rates Rebate Application, which can be found in the Rates section of the Forms page. Please bring the completed form to the Orange Civic Centre to that your Concession Cards can to be sighted by Council staff.

If I am eligible, what concessions am I entitled to?

  • Half of the total of your ordinary rates and domestic waste management service charge, up to a maximum of $250.
  • Half of your water rates or charges, up to a maximum of $87.50.
  • Half of your sewerage rates or charges, up to a maximum of $87.50.

Is there any plan to increase the concession amounts?

The NSW Government determines the amount of the concessions and, although the level has remained constant for a number of years, the last increase to the concession for ordinary rates from $175 to $250 was significant.

The cost of providing mandatory concessions is met by both state and local government. Any increase in the existing limits would increase the cost of the scheme and may have an adverse impact on the services that councils provide to the community. There are currently no plans to review the concessions.

Can councils offer additional concessions for pensioners?

Yes, although the cost of providing additional concessions must be met entirely by the council. It is up to each council to decide whether to grant additional concessions.

What if you cannot afford to pay your rates?

You may be eligible for a concession on the grounds of hardship. Councils may also be able to assist by agreeing to alternative payment plans or writing off interest on unpaid rates. If you are having difficulty in paying your rates, you should contact your council as soon as possible to discuss the options available.

Can you be exempt from paying council rates?

There are some parcels of land that are exempt from rates and charges. These include parcels of land within a national park and land that belongs to, for example, a religious body or school.

Unless you meet the exemption criteria outlined in the Local Government Act, you cannot be exempt from paying rates.