The Orange Showground is the venue for the annual Orange Show as well as a number of community events through the year including equine competitions and the Farmers’ Markets.
- The first agricultural shows were held in Orange on four different sites, including Cook Park and Wade Park, as early as 1863.
- In 1908 a 48-acre site on the current location in north Orange was set aside to be used as a showground.
- In March 1923, the 50th anniversary of the inception of the Orange Show was celebrated.
- The Orange Showground was used as a detention barracks during World War II.
- The Centenary Show was held in April 1969.
Using the Showground
The highlight of the showground calendar is the annual Orange Show. The show is run by the Orange Show Society and more information about the event can be found on their website.
- The showground includes a range of buildings and facilities which can be used by community groups and organisations.
- The main arena is rectangular in shape and can be used to host a visiting circus or a motocross event.
- The rustic atmosphere of the historic agricultural pavillion makes that space an ideal venue for the Orange Farmers’ Market, music concerts and Wine Festival events.
- The new Naylor Pavillion offers a large enclosed space and has been used to host an itinerant ice-skating rink and other large-scale events.
- The Environmental Learning Centre is well-suited to holding small community meetings and seminars.
- To find out more about using these facilities or to check their availability for a booking, please contact Orange City Council.
Caravan camping at the showground
The showground offers a number of options for caravan camping:
- A section of the showground has been set aside to operate as an RV-Friendly site for travellers to Orange. Here travellers with self-contained caravans can enjoy an overnight stay FREE. In line with RV Friendly standards these sites have no access to electricity or toilet facilities. Travellers wanting to use this area should contact the nearby Colour City Caravan Park on 6393890.
- During major events, another section of the showground operates as an overflow area for the nearby Colour City Caravan park. These paid sites have access to electricity, as well as shower and toilet facilities.
- During major competitions staged at the showground’s horse yards, competitors and supporters can park caravans and trailers in the showground. These visitors have access to electricity, showers and toilets with costs paid for by their competition fees.